Saturday 13 May 2023

Black cliffs of Newtonmore.....Creag Dubh

 Hill: Creag Dubh (Newtonmore) (Black Cliff)

Type: Fiona

Height: 756m


Walkhighlands description. Creag Dhubh is a fine hill near Newtonmore, with beautifully wooded lower slopes . It is famed amongst rock-climbers for the steep crags on its southern flanks. The ascent is rugged from any direction and can be made as described from Lochain Ulvie with a choice of routes, or via the northeast ridge accessed from near Biallaid.

It had been a beautiful morning until I neared Newtonmore where everything went all shades of grey. Just before this all the Munros I passed had clear summits but not here. Time to rethink over a breakfast roll at the Truckers cafe. Change of plan to go slightly lower than intended and as such chose the nearby Creag Dubh, which to be fair had been on my to-do list for too long. Checked the weather apps sunshine, high winds and heavy showers. Looking out the cafe window I could see plenty of the latter and little of the first but not to be a wimp I set off.

There quite a few options but I chose the lesser used route from Auchmore. I remembered a conversation with a guy a few years ago who had done this hill in a morning and followed a Walkhighlands route report and ended up in serious climbing, more mountaineering than scrambling and had been seriously scared. So one route to avoid.


The disadvantage from Auchmore is that it is longer but the advantage is that the map showed a meandering ATV track going a good way up. There is only parking for one car.

It was dry with some blue skies when I started but waterproofs on anyway.

I went behind cautiously round the cottage, am I allowed, to find a gate and the first challenge of the day was to get it opened, eventually with sore fingers it did. The nearby ATV gate has clearly not been used for a long time.

Thats it top right

Closer view of the ridge
The track I wanted was there and provided exactly what I hoped for. It is rough and boggy in places and probably isn't used much but fine for me. Spotted the ridge and it looks quite far away.

Eventually the track ended where the map is marked ‘Clunys Cave’ but I did not see any evidence of it.


I ascended to the left of the boulder scree
Now just moorland, boggy at times but more good than bad. I was heading in the direction of the northern side of the ridge. At roughly point 596, Spirean Beag, I decided to climb the slopes to gain the ridge. Mostly stony, heather and tussocks but no real issues and I came across the main track.

The wind was much stronger and as I progressed it got narrower. I crossed a stile over the deer fence and before long the main top came into view. 

In truth it is an impressive small mountain top rising out of the ridge. With the strength of the wind I was a little apprehensive as the face looked steep with no obvious track.

Rainbow over Newtonmore Munros

View south

View North
As it turned out there are some minor detour tracks as well as just going directly up the slabs. Great views if you take the time to look and relieved I spotted a cairn. There is a larger cairn hidden with the north one judged to be just the highest. I visited both anyway.

Impressive views particularly of the nearby hills and looking down to Newtonmore and Kingussie. The Cairngorms were mainly in cloud. Quite a few patches of snow holding on the Laggan & Alder ranges, indeed the forecast is for heavy snow in a few days, the joys. Good views down into Glen Banchor and the River Calder. A vast wilderness spreads out. The Newtonmore Munros just behind are fairly clear of low cloud but showers are running over them.



Descent off right

Rough ground for a while

Back on track Ben Avon Munros in background

Repeated my ascent route back to the car. When out of the wind there was heat around but not risking taking rain gear off. Back at the car I got changed just as plip plop started, got in car and a 20 minute heavy shower ensued. Had I been outside I would have been very wet but luck was with me. Apart from the odd light shower and the strong winds it was a good day to be on out of doors, I enjoyed that ramble.

Ascent: 523m

Distance: 8.4km

Time: 2.54

Wildlife: Pheasant: Red Grouse; Meadow Pipit; Raven

No comments:

Post a Comment