Saturday 13 May 2023

A pathless but straightforward Corbett.....Gairbeinn

Hill: Gairbeinn (Rough Mountain)

Type: Corbett

Height: 896m


I was glad that I changed the timing of this walk because today was as good a walking day as you can get. The clear skies had left the car iced up but by the time I had my brekkie it had disappeared.

The stunning drive from Laggan to Garve never disappoints. I was worried as there was about 20+ estate type vehicles with trailers in a nearby field, stalking? But the gate after the bridge at Garve was open so the near 4 mile extra drive to the walk start, albeit over rising and falling contouring single track, no hardship on a day like this.

At the parking area one other car but I never did see the occupant, it was still there when I got back.

Ready to go and the car temperature gauge said 1degree. The road ahead is roughly following one of General Wades military roads. A couple of the existing stone arched bridges are passed. Ok for the horses and carts of the day but not for modern cars so they are bypassed.

Melgrave Bothy

As I approached the Melgarve bothy I noticed movement and the farm buildings close by. Thought they were abandoned but obviously not as someone came out with a dog for a walk. Wonder if that was the car occupant, maybe a holiday let?

There is not a lot to be said about the next section as it is simply a moorland crossing with not a lot standing out to admire. There are no tracks so just go for it.

I went to the left and climbed from there


I decided to take a direct line towards Geal Charn (not the Munro) passing to the left of Meall Garbh Beag. I had read that this was a very boggy section as I was surprised. It did have its wet moments but overall much drier than expected. Spotted a small herd of red deer stags on the flanks, they had spotted me as well.

Made me laugh the pylons looked like the Spanish Armada sailing in

Time to climb the grassy slopes. Keep huffing and puffing until it starts to level off and the hill becomes a mixture of wet moor and craggy rock.


Actual top is off to the left

Looking back to start point

Although I kept thinking that I was getting to the top the reality was that this is quite a long ridge. It has many grassy gulley's that lured me into thinking this was it. Even the pointed crags seemed like a perfect top but nope there was still a couple more minutes of walking, albeit flattish.

Creag Meagaidh Munros foreground Grey Corries behind

The peat bogs over to Corryhabbie Hill if you fancy it, I didn't

There are really good views in 360 degree as this is a good stand alone high point. Looking down it is a wilderness of peat hagged moorland, this is remote territory. I reckon I have good views of the Grey Corries in one direction and the Cairngorms in another. Of course the Creag Meagaidh Munros are just across the River Spey.


On descent I wanted to follow the dry section back to track

Grey Corries clearer

Final stretch

Back down the same way back to the car. Sprung a snipe but apart from that I was alone on the hill, the only noise being the meadow pipits of which there were plenty.

Another ramble that I thoroughly enjoyed and what a day for it. Hard to believe that heavy snow is forecast on the hill I intend to do in a couple of days, time will tell.


Ascent: 557m

Distance: 7.5km

Time: 2.56

Wildlife: Meadow Pipit; Snipe; Pheasant; Pied Wagtail; Buzzard; Red deer stags.

No comments:

Post a Comment