Saturday 13 May 2023

Surprisingly good little ramble.....Beinn na Gucaig

Hill: Beinn na Gucaig (Mountain of the little bell...bluebells?)

Type: Fiona

Height: 616m



On my way heading further north I decided to take a break and tick this Fiona off. The last time I went to do this I was on my way back from another trip. Sat in the car park with the rain bouncing deafeningly off the roof, Why, I asked myself, for once sense prevailed and home I went knowing the hill will still be there.

This morning I left home in a drizzle with cloud touching the rooftops, crap visibility so another abandonment was a possibility. But as I neared Tyndrum things started to brighten, I could see the sides of hills and was much better by the time I got to the start.

I was a bit grumpy as I skipped brekkie at home to eat at the Green Welly. A coachload of Americans arrived just before me so the queue was massive despite nobody at tables. They were all buying takeaway coffees/teas and all paying individually. The two couples in front of me all paid with a £20 note, the guy on the till was equally not a happy chappy. Still, the roll was good.

I parked in the forestry Commission car park at Inchree, more popular with dog walkers than Gucaig baggers I suspect.

I followed the red trail from the car park (paths are marked for woodland walks) and turned right onto a motorway sized hard packed road.

Almost missed the start to the ATV track that takes me up the hill, it was only marked with a ragged piece of pink tape. I expected a really boggy track but overall it was pretty good.


Mast on top of  this hill

It is a winding grassy track that goes up and up. Toil relieved by a Cuckoo calling, my 2nd of the week, moor nesting birds look out.

I had a 5g signal up here was it this?

A few false tops before I spotted a mast which I had forgotten about, hence the ATV track. Part of it was spinning around rapido. I had not really done my homework so thought I was near the top as I felt I had climbed quite a bit and the water looked a long way down. Although I had covered about 2/3rds of the ascent the hill was still quite a way away. 

Gucaig from Pt575, i went right to ascend but came back more direct descent on the left

Up the next small hill, still not it, so onto the next one which had a small cairn, point 575 on the map. Surely this was it I mumbled to myself as I eyed up the descent down to a moor and what looked like a steep climb to a higher top and looked far away. Time to check properly and of course I knew that that was the top of Gucaig over there.

So down the dryish slopes onto to boggy pathless ground. Followed the odd deer trail before climbing again and yahoo a trig came into sight. As I touched it I heard voices, I had not noticed anyone ahead of me. Two English guys having lunch I think a bit peeved I had spoiled their tranquillity, tough.

Inverscaddle Bay

View down loch Lhinnie
The views were pretty good considering the clouds were covering all the Munro tops but this one had stayed under them so far.

View back to point 575

Views across to Blether Munros
The best views were reserved for looking down to the water and especially down over Corran and down the ever widening Loch Lhinnie. Had it been less hazy Mull would have been seen but not today.


Tanker going thru the Corran straights but no ferries today

Cruise ship heading for Fort William

I took a different way off the top but mainly returned the same way taking in the fabulous scenery. A track for the most part made this a straightforward ramble but if doing it leave it for a good viewing day, it would just be a slog otherwise.

Ascent: 611m

Distance: 10.2km

Time: 3.11

Wildlife: Cuckoo(m) calling; Meadow Pipit; Skylark; Great Tit; Red Grouse

No comments:

Post a Comment