Saturday 13 May 2023

Tough Bike/hike to Cnap Chaochan Aitinn

Hill: Cnap Chaochain Aillit (Knob of the juniper stream)

Type: Fiona

Height: 715m


A new style of bagging today, my first serious bike/hike. This had been on a to-do list for yonks but I had put it off as it is around 6 hours of walking. Not that that is overly long but most of it is on estate tracks and could be a bit boring. The plan was to do it with my e bike but a change of circumstances meant it was going to be by traditional MTB, this could be a mistake!

Getting to the start was an issue with a huge detour through places I had never visited before heading to Tomintoul.

I started from the Queens View carpark which I knew was outside of Tomintoul but in the wrong bit that I thought it was but I got there eventually. Just as well I was on the bike as I have a dinner date tonight and already behind.

No easing the legs in as straight into steep ups and downs but at least this section of track was hard packed. There are some farms and estate buildings ahead with plenty of signs about the danger of oncoming estate vehicles/wood lorries etc. Going through Glen Avon following the River Avon for a while.

I came to the estate buildings with fancy ornate iron gates which I thought was going to be the end of my biking but the side pedestrian gate was open. As it turned out on my return I was heading for the small gate when the main gates slowly opened. I looked around thinking an estate vehicle was behind me but nope I must have triggered a sensor, nice one.

Which bridge?
More ups and downs until I came to a huge bridge which actually was two bridges side by side, which one to choose?

Over the bridge and I could see cattle with young calves, there were warning signs of danger due to livestock. Go for it. The track was now steep and stone chips meant no grip so I had to get off and push the bike but thankfully the coos stayed away.


Rough stuff for a bit

Now a grass field to cross with sheep at the far end but good cycling. Through another gate, there were plenty of these, and cycled through a pleasant wood before descending to the ford. I had thought that I might have to leave the bike here but it was low enough to walk it across.

Target ahead but that looks a steep pull on the bike. Blue skies have disappeared.

Now it was proper ascent and this was a mixture of cycling and pushing. Some of it was just too steep but the state of the track kept changing. At times the number of stones meant traction could not be gained. The constant on off was playing havoc with my legs the lack of this type of cycling meant this was getting painful.

Zoomed in correct summit
After one punishing section I had a glance ahead and spotted a mast on a hill not far away. I knew Cnap had a mast but it seemed too soon. Into the pocked and GPS checked and yahoo that was it.

A final fast descent and then the legs and lungs gave in so bike abandoned and now proper walking.

Off the bike now
At the top of the track, shock horror, I was having to cross country to the summit. Some peat hags, some boggy ground but soon burnt heather. This is red grouse shooting country and there were plenty of the birds around.
View North Ben Avon under cloud

View South
Finally at the mast and just behind a nice cairn. The views over to the big Cairngorm peaks were limited as they were in cloud and frankly looked cold. The wind was cold enough here. Better views back over Tomintoul and the Cromdale hills.
Descent to find bike, good view of the track back

Plenty of these around
Back down and pleased to find my bike was still where I left it. A very fast downhill where braking was interesting at times and soon back down to the ford. At least the braking system is better on this bike than the ebike.
Patchwork grouse hills everywhere

Just followed the same route but my legs were tiring on the final ascents but I got there.

So the objective was met as I was almost half the specified walking time but there was no doubt that the effort was magnified somewhat but I am glad I did it. I am sure I will be feeling aches and pain in the legs later.

Ascent: 562m

Distance: 19.7km

Time: 2.46

Wildlife: Red Grouse; Raven; Meadow Pipit; Buzzard


No comments:

Post a Comment