Sunday 14 May 2023

A wet and misty day on.....Meall na Suiramach

 Hill: Meall na Suiramach

Type: Sub2k

Height: 543m


The weather had been persistent rain this morning but was due to become sun/showers by noon. I decided to take a wee drive and bag this little hill which eluded me last year when I did its pal on the other side, Bioda Buidhe. Even if the weather was foul I knew it was a very short ramble so it was being done regardless.

It was still raining heavily when I passed the huge parking area at The Storr and surprised to see that it was almost full. The rain had eased a little when I arrived at my start to find another very busy car park. Avoiding the pot holes had been the hard bit so far. Most of these will be doing the Quiraing circuit or at least the flattish bottom section.

Going high straight away

Closer view
I went clockwise so met the extremely eroded path head on. It is a short steep ascent with height gained quickly but the conditions were awful. A mixture of stones and pounded down peat which was so hard it was slippy wet with the rain. It is a long time since I have seen a section on any walk so bad. There is now a hefty charge to park here and there are no facilities so surely some of the money could be earmarked for repairs.

Only restored part of upper track!!
The rain was belting down as I climbed, surprised by how many figures were looming out of the gloom heading down from the circuit, most voices were non Scottish.

Arrive at a gate and left the main track heading about 10o’clock through wet moorland. I realised that I had to correct my self even more to aim for that not to be seen summit.

About half way up this section 3 Germans appeared out of the gloom, clearly way of track and I doubt they were Sub2k baggers. They did have map and compass so I reassured them of a heading that would meet the track they should be on.


Good deed for the day. Upwards I went and spotted a cairn in the greyness on my right, definitely not the direction that I wanted so I did not go out of my way to explore.

Then in the gloom I could see what I wanted. I thought from the shape that it was a trig point but it was more of a cairn, maybe both. It has an impressive and shapely cairn/trig point, well constructed and maintained.

Rough ground
Went back the same route where the cloud did open for short bursts to let me see across to the Trotternish ridge. 

North end of Trotternish Ridge

Close up, Bioda Bhuide on right

Looking back what I couldn't see from the gate earlier
Spectacular short bursts of colour brought life to the ramble and a smile to my wet face.

View South

Clouds lifted Bioda Bhuide ridge and car park below

Typically for the final slide/descent the rain and wind was in my face.

Not the nicest short ramble I have had but it fitted the bill for today.

Ascent: 289m

Distance: 4.87km

Time: 1.22

Wildlife: Raven: Skylark


No comments:

Post a Comment