Friday 26 May 2023

An lonely walk to an isolated Fiona.....Meall nan Eagan

Hill: Meall nan Eagan (Mountain of the notches)

Type: Fiona

Height: 658m

The forecast was pretty grim but the drive had not been too bad at all, although the cloud was very low covering most tops. There was the possibility of a weather window early afternoon and as I had my brekkie roll at the Snack Shack in Dalwhinnie it was at least dry outside.

Parked at the quarry entrance and walked the right of way to Laggan. I had read that the space could take 3-4 cars but sign says operational quarry including Saturdays so only room for one, road verge parking, maybe?

Track on left to The Fara

At this stage it is a hard packed road to the estate houses which are private and should be bypassed.


One of many

I could of went back up to a grass track behind the houses but there was another low level track alongside the burn. There are at least 4 fords where the ATV track criss crosses the burn. But for some reason all the footbridges have been moved onto the banking. They didn't look damaged and the ATV’s would not be using them so not sure why this has happened.

Nevertheless there is a faint track on this side of the burn although a rockfall meant I had to scramble upto the higher track. As I headed along the valley it was silent apart from the male Cuckoo calling constantly. Many meadow pipits and the odd Skylark. Delighted to see and hear a male stonechat on the other side of the burn.

Alongside the burn I came across this wooden frame. Uncertain of its function, maybe to hang deer and do some outside butchery?

Will be leaving the burn soon

I could see the target ahead and I decided I was going to head right and head up the more gradual ridge. The ground was wet marshland and heather. Plenty of that but never saw or heard a red grouse. As I neared the crags the ground was now wet peat hags, walking around not through these.

Finally the climb begins in earnest as I was well aware that I had not gained much height, if any, since the start. The ground was rough and at times steep but meandering on the grassy sections, good progress was made.

The next section was by far the steepest. I spotted an old fence line on my right and decided to follow it to the top. Maybe not the best idea as the ground was really rough, an ankle twist always a possibility.

View towards Laggan

View back to track for my return route

Then the final pull and a couple of iron boundary posts marked the top. Looking around all the big hills were under cloud so my attention was focused on the broader landscape. This is very rough terrain as far as the eye can see. Apart from the pylons only the deer stalkers and the odd walker will be out here, not a place to come to harm.

It was only on the descent I realised I had forgot to look for the local landmark, Dirc Mhor, a narrow passage through some cliffs, but I wasn't going back up again.

I opted to take a more direct descent route. Once I had gently zig zagged down the steep top section I could see the hags to miss and then found a grassy rake which took me back down to the valley floor. From up there I had spotted a faint ATV track so headed across the boggy ground to find it.

On my way I could smell death and not long after came across the remains of a red deer hind. It had been stripped almost to its bones so surprising how strong the smell was.

Found the ATV track and followed it back to the burn and the same route back. There seemed to be more than one cuckoo calling and the pipits were extremely agitated so I assume there was at least one female cuckoo nest invading.

Going through the final tree section birds were calling constantly and great to hear the willow warblers amongst the others.

A good ramble. Like most Fionas it is mainly pathless with some grotty terrain but that goes with the territory.

Ascent: 378m

Distance: 9.6km

Time: 2.54

Wildlife: Chaffinch; Siskin; Willow Warbler (heard); Meadow Pipit; Skylark; Common Lizard; Stonechat; Cuckoo;


No comments:

Post a Comment