Thursday 30 December 2021

At last.....Carn na Drochaide

Hill: Carn na Drochaide (Cairn of the Bridge)

Type: Corbett

Height: 818m

How many times have I stayed in Braemar and looked across at this Corbett? Too many. I suppose my mindset always said that I did not want to climb a pathless heather lump until I had to.

Carn na Drochaide
Well that moment arrived. I had only a morning left so needed a shortish walk in the area. There were no more obvious opportunities left without a long drive.

The SMC book has an alternative route which looked good so long as the path at the beginning can be found. I did not want to be scrambling about at the start of the walk so a recce took place last night and I did indeed find the track I wanted, walk now on.

1st objective found one of Queen Vics many outhouses

This must be the track on the map



Follow up and onto the moor

Carn na Drochaide from a possible turn off but not mine
I was hoping that there might be good sightings of red deer as behind Drochaide it is very remote territory. The rut is near so the deer are gathering in decent numbers. But not too be but some consolation prize of the Golden eagle. I also expected to see Mountain hares in numbers but nothing. I don't think that this is a grouse shooting estate as none heard or seen today despite the ample heather, so they should not be culling hares.

As it turned out the most straightforward walk of the trip. A really crisp morning to start me off. 

The cairn at Carn na Criche with Drochaide behind
On the top the views were the best of the trip despite the cloud cover over the Munro tops. An extensive 360deg panorama. The wind rose quickly at the summit and it was a bitter northerly front, the season for shorts is just about over.

From Drochaide cairn looking over to Beinn a' Bhuird

Looking north the eroded stony plateau more prominent

On the descent remote landscape
Ascent: 574m

Distance: 13km

Time: 3.06

Wildlife: Golden Eagle; Red Squirrel; Wheatear; Meadow Pipit; Coal Tit; 

No comments:

Post a Comment