Thursday 30 December 2021

Lochnager's runt.....Conachcraig

Hill: Conachcraig (Many lumpy rocks!)

Type: Corbett

Height: 865m

This was intended to be another straightforward walk, following good tracks for most of the route. In simple terms it looked like follow the Lochnagar signs until you reach the big cairn where the Lochnagar route descends then turn right for Conachcraig.

This made me think

Start
The only issue against it being straightforward was the torrential rain last night which had turned the burns into full spates, high and fast running. En route I only had to cross one burn without a bridge, the Allt-na-giubhsaich, and of course I had left my gaiters and full leather boots in the car thinking light was best for this short outing.

Autumn colours Lochnagar's cliffs just peaking out

A couple of girls came by saying they had walked up the burn for about 15minutes with no joy for an easier crossing point. Nothing for it but to cross the ford. Poles out for balance and I got across but at one point one foot went in deep, calf high. The joys, wet boots from near enough the start. The girls followed likewise.

As said earlier head up the rocky track and break right to follow the narrow track through the heather, becoming more rocky as it rises, Ascend for a 100m or so until the top is reached and voila another Corbett ticked off. Some impressive squashed rock formations, the power of nature always impresses. There is a big plateau where you can wander over to Caisteal na Caillich, it is 3 metres lower so no bragging rights.


I had intended to do this to make the walk a circular route and descend the flanks of Carn an Daimh. But I had no idea whether I would be able to cross the burn at any point down there, much further away than the ford.

My descent track as well as the ascent towards Lochnagar

So no risks, back the same way with good views of the Lochnagar track where despite the forecast of clearing weather these tops were now covered in cloud with more rain threatening. 

The ford on the return
I was hoping that the water had receded but nope if anything slightly higher. This time both feet fully in but not far back to the car and spare socks.

Still, I had mostly blue skies and apart from my feet it stayed dry for this short walk in lovely countryside. Plus I completed Section 7 of the SMC guidebook.

Ascent: 501m

Distance: 10.9km

Time: 2.53

Wildlife: Raven; Grey Wagtail; Chaffinch; Red Grouse; Roe Deer;

No comments:

Post a Comment