Thursday 30 December 2021

A dreary ramble to Meall Tairneachan

Hill: Meall Tairneachan (Hill of thunder)

Type: Corbett

Height: 787m

The forecast was pants for today so another plan B which turned out to be plan C. Plan B was to go onto another Corbett, Farragon Hill after the ascent of Tairneachan.

From the start clear this is a working mine
The route to Tairneachan follows a working mine track where any instructions must be followed but no traffic today.

A break in the trees and that is Schiehallion, honestly
Initially it was a steep climb up through the plantation, dry briefly then the drizzle came on. At least there was birdsong mainly from the flocks of finches and tits. Apart from that hood up and get the section over.




Out of the trees and the book says you should soon see the target. All I could see was low clouds of which I was about to enter.

Enter the cloud zone
At 2000ft that happened, the low clouds created an eerie walk. The moor was devoid of life. Total silence except for the running water in the burns and the plops on my hood. 





When I cut off the track to the summit the rain got heavier and the clouds became denser. At least I saw the trig with another day where the excellent views were not to be seen by me.

Loch Rannoch glimpsed but by time camera out gone
Decision time but I in my head I knew what I was going to do. Studied the route and I did not fancy the final moorland ascent which I knew was pathless and rough going. Ok in company or with a clearer line of sight but not up here today. Got a better one tomorrow anyway.

I don't think these have moved for a few years
Lack of motivation won so I headed back wondering if I had not succumbed too easily. As I descended and the rain got heavier and heavier and I knew it was the right one. Farragon Hill can wait for another day.

Ascent: 475m

Distance: 8.4

Time: 2.06

Wildlife: Chaffinch; Great Tit; Song Thrush; Goldfinch; Fieldfare: Meadow Pipit

No comments:

Post a Comment