Thursday 30 December 2021

Harder to pronounce than climb.....Creag Uchdag

Hill: Creag Uchdag (The crag of the hollows)

Type: Corbett

Height: 879m

I was first in the car park so the weather forecast was even putting off the Munro baggers for Ben Chonzie who share the small area.

Under normal circumstances this would be a straightforward walk and to a large extent it was apart from slogging across peat hag moorland with minimal visibility.


Initially a pleasant tarmac walk up Glen Lednock to the dam albeit on tarmac. Good conditions nice views.

But when I started on the ATV track it was clear that I would soon be in the clouds and so it proved.

The ATV track was helpful but was extremely wet underfoot. I had double reproofed my winter fabric boots but something has gone badly wrong. Instead it seemed the fabric pores had opened instead of closing and my feet were already very wet, the joys.

When I left the track it was then rough moorland all the way to the top. With the minimal visibility I was constantly navigating. It reminded me of my day on Brown Cow Hill but without the rain. It is not the most fun day out when you can see nothing of the way ahead. The odd shape rising beside you indicating still higher to go.


At last a bump appeared which was thankfully the final ascent, then a half kilometre walk to the trig. I am sure the views are great but nothing for me today.

I could not be bothered descending to the loch and wandering all its banks so just returned the same way. Half way down some colour appeared, a splodge of yellow, another fool on the hill today.


Another hill in the 'need to return on a nice day' column but the exercise was beneficial.

Ascent: 742m

Distance:14.7km

Time: 4.22

Wildlife: Pheasant; Red Legged Partridge; Red Kite; Buzzard; Raven; Red Grouse; Snipe; Fieldfare 20+


No comments:

Post a Comment