Thursday 30 December 2021

Farragon Hill is a long walk from anywhere.

Hill: Farragon Hill (St. Fergan's hill)

Type: Corbett

Height: 783m

I decided I didn't want to repeat the track over and past Meall Tairneachan and then the opencast mine so I decided to do this from Loch Tummel side. Looking at the map there are 3 main options for this hill but all involve a long hike over estate/mine tracks to get to the hill.

Pleasant woodland start
As always with alternative routes it is the start that is most problematic and this was no different. Three stops to check where I was before I was at the right spot. It doesn't help that this area has been declared a no parking zone for 7 miles. Thanks to all the Covid idiot campers who trashed Lochs Tummel & Rannoch. All the parking areas have been bouldered off so any parking is at your own risk of the boys in blue slapping one on your windscreen. I am here so today I am a risktaker.

Almost as soon as I started I could hear stags roaring but I was in trees and when I exited them it had stopped but they must be very low.

Bleak moor mine just below the peak
I have always thought that these hills are a bleak landscape at the best of times and in todays dreich day there was no improvement.

Super highway to the mine

About 250 metres away do you think they store explosives/detonators here?
As I climbed I noticed a track away in the hills, what was that? I soon found out it is a super highway to a new mine complex. The one on the other side is open cast but this was a tunnel going under the hill, another gold mine on the quiet?

Farragon just peaking out still a bit to go

Getting closer
There are lots of ups and downs before the track is left to tackle the 250m ascent so this was going to be a high total ascent day. In the gloom Farragon still looked high and the terrain was going to be crap. I admit to a moment of weakness where darkness descended and I thought it might be safer not to risk this.

First ridge that is not the top

Stag and you can see at least 9 hinds just below the ridge

First ridge reached with the steep bit to come, still trying to hide
Thankfully I ignored this and tackled the moor and the grassy, craggy slopes. As I did another roar and I spotted a stag on the skyline.

From summit looking north and right is open cast mine with Tairneachan looking far away behind it.

Looking back to my route you can see the track winding on the hillside
Finally I got to the summit cairn as the rain returned with the wind, not hanging about for long. There are some decent views which I briefly took in then off to descend the other flank.

Not the same route I had spotted some grassy rakes which at times were very steep and bum slides required for safety. I could hear another stag roar but quite far away. Then an almighty roar, wow this one was very close by, what an impressive noise but sadly never saw or heard him again. Wonder if same herd from earlier.

Got to get down to the track, Loch Derculich behind
Just about back at the track where I spooked a peregrine at a burn. It squealed and flew off heading to the crags. I presume it had prey but did not see any but it went quickly.

View of the mine and my descent, Atholl hills behind
A slow plod back up the estate track before I could descend again to the mine and back to the car. At least I had good views over the Atholl hills. Then a cacophony of noise that could only be one thing. Many hundreds of geese, possibly the most I have ever seen. No idea whether they were one species or a mixture but an excellent finish to the walk.

You might just see the plane in the centre
Another huge noise as a twin tailed fighter swept past low over Loch Tummel heading towards Glencoe, that made my day.

Back at the car and relieved as no parking ticket or clamping.

Ascent: 979m

Distance: 17.1

Time: 4.46

Wildlife: Red Deer Stag; Wheatear; Black Grouse; Wren; Meadow Pipit; Skylark; Peregrine Falcon; Geese migration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment