Friday 31 December 2021

Could not see much yellow.....Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon)

Hill: Meall Budhie (Glen Lyon) (Yellow Hill)

Type: Munro

Height: 932m

Today was meant to be a double up and down Munro bash but the forecasted weather made me think twice. I had a long drive to the start and heavy rain was forecast to arrive between 2 & 3. Additionally a grey day with thick cloud so nae views so only one hill.

It was also meant to be a completion of my Glen Lyon Munros, maybe tomorrow.

Met a huge timber tractor vehicle on the very narrow road but thankfully we got past each other as I headed to the normal starting spot at Loch an Daimh. One car parked up (never saw them) and another arrived as I was walking off. Looked a bit of an odd chap and I barely got an acknowledgement as I walked away.

There are another two Corbetts down there somewhere in the gloom
There were low clouds around and drizzle as I started. I suppose this route breaks into three sections.

The estate route
Following the stalking advice I took the standard route (path 1) up-to the the main plateau. A decent gradient and slightly boggy but decent progress made.

Loch na Daimh
Section 2 is the peat hags, I seem to have come across much more of these than normal over the last few months. An intermittent track through the hags but again could have been a lot worse. Then a short pull up to the cairn at Meall a’ Phuill (possibly the hill of the mud, I wonder why?)

Open top

Further on small cairn not sure for what
Section 3 is the ridge walk to the summit with Glas Choire on your right but seen much better on the return. When the clouds lifted this was a very green coire definitely not grey. Lots of deer droppings but none spotted.

Top in view
Reached the summit cairn where I am assured there are spectacular views over Loch Rannoch, Scheihallion, Ben Nevis and lots more, but not for me today.

Looking back
Returned by the same route passing Mr Odd on the ridge, who was accompanied by his obvious clone, son of Mr Odd, poor boy. Again a brief nod from Mr Odd but nothing from junior, not even an eye glance, brought up well!!

At the far end clouds still not coming over the ridge
Great views of the atmospheric clouds swooping into the corries but never coming over the tops onto the ridge. Superb atmospheric viewing and I’m glad I am seeing some views.

Descent across the hags
Looking down on the northern parts of Loch an Daimh it is still so low on water.

Stuc an Lochain and big shadow on the loch
On the descent I was now getting good views of the companion hill, Stuc an Lochain. I was studying the ascent route so much that somewhere I missed a turn from my ascent route. I realised things were not as they should be but no big deal as I was still on a well worn path so followed this back down to the estate trail. At one point I could see three walkers at the point where I left the track and started my ascent. Clearly they had seen me and spent a bit of time debating the route before heading up my ascent route. I was too far away to shout but either start would have done for Section 1.

The weather had held up although heavy grey clouds were still threatening to drop those heavy showers.

An enjoyable short walk and surely one of the quickest Munros to bag.

Ascent: 555m

Distance: 9.01

Time: 2.43

Wildlife: Meadow Pipit; Hooded Crow; Golden Plover; Wheatear,


No comments:

Post a Comment