Wednesday 29 December 2021

Better than expected.....Beinn na Gainimh

Hill: Beinn na Gainimh (Mountain of Sand)
Type: Graham
Height: 730m
A straightforward hill if you do it the right way but even with my mishap still not a major problem.
River Almond


It all began with an early morning estate track walk through the beautiful Glen Almond. A stunning place with higher hills all around, not quite hemmed in but an enclosed and definitely a rural feel. Plus, walking alongside the River Almond, albeit at low levels, is not any hardship.
I had read of aggressive cattle in the fields but none seen today.

There is a very steep ascent which would do the start of any Munro proud. 
To make it a circular walk I knew that here was a cut off into the heather at the track high point. I did cut off and followed a faint track for a bit before it disappeared and somewhere along the line I realised I was on the wrong cut off.
Beinn na Gainimh straight ahead but a lot of moor to cross first
It was not a great problem as I knew where I was heading but the terrain was crap. Deep heather and burnt heather. The burnt heather sections were easier walking as you could see where you were going but the wooden sprigs were big and razor sharp cutting my bare legs. Throw in the many sphagnum patches, some of which went very deep down and then the peat hags, the joys of moor walking.
Peat hag top looking towards Lawers hills
Eventually I got to the large flat plateau which good views of the Lawers hills but not a lot more to get excited about. The flatness of the top takes away from the other views.
Grouse safe for the moment


From the top I headed down the eastern side where the terrain turned out to be much better. Also found an ATV track from new grouse butts that were being built which took me back to the original track without drama. The moors around here are notorious for disappearing raptors so I was surprised to see a Golden eagle and a Sparrowhawk. The hawk had just caught a red grouse, the plucked feathers across my track.
Another short climb, total silence apart from the odd sheep calling, then followed the track back to the start of the climb and onwards to the Sma Glen.
Pleasant stroll back to the Sma Glen
Certainly if you want some quiet time this area does not get many visitors despite the beauty of the glens. No Munro bagging hordes here

Ascent: 655m
Distance: 15.3km
Time: 3.56
Wildlife: Golden Eagle; Sparrowhawk; Mountain Hare; Red Grouse; Black Grouse; Meadow Pipit; Wood Pigeon; Peacock butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment