Thursday 30 December 2021

First early winter day of the season.....Meall nan Subh

Hill: Meall nan Subh (Hill of the berries, probably wild raspberries)

Type: Corbett

Height: 804m

I like a noticeboard
A straightforward ascent via a private road helps with the start of the walk. The sky constantly alternated between brilliant blue and slate grey. The grey ones were bringing in the first snow showers of this winter and many surrounding tops were dusted white. Not surprisingly the very strong wind was bitterly cold. The consolation for me was that I was ascending on the lee side and at times was too warm. 

As good a spot as any to head up

The ridge now in sight
After the private road there are no tracks to this top so simply pick the spot you like best and head up the grassy/moorland slopes. There is a lot of running water, much of it hidden along with many grassy covered deep holes so care was required. This is big hill country so no hardship to stop and see which ones I could name. 

Head for the high spot on right

Typical terrain

The high spot
I knew that reaching the crest of the hill was only the beginning as there is a large plateau full of peat bogs to negotiate. I headed to the most obvious high point which gave me a good view of the final boggy section and of the jumble of hills that holds the summit, but which one, not quite as obvious as it looks in the snap? 

Can finally see the Corbett from high spot 
On my side of the hags I spotted an ATV track which obviously skirted the worst, a no brainer, use local knowledge. The wind was fierce and I was breaking icy patches as I descended along with the squally snow bursts. I followed the ATV track alongside more iced peat hags, sprung 5 black grouse, great sight. At the end of the hags I climbed to a new plateau and could see that the small top directly ahead had a broken trig. As I neared it I was sure the hill beside me was higher, here we go again. So up the flanks of this one I went, blinded by the low sun, goggles and sun glasses in the boot, another not so smart move. Finally got to the top and the broken cairn was definitely below this top. 

Meall Ghaordaid

Corbetts from Pubil

View east down Glen Lyon
The views were top drawer particularly over and down Glen Lyon. The two Corbetts from Pubil looked a good round, a pair for the future. Meall Ghaordaid's north flank particularly white. Behind it the twin prongs of Beinn nan Eachan and Creag na Caillich looking very steep. 

Heading back, rough stuff

Back on the private road with the twin peaks in the distance

Zoomed in on the twin peaks
Far too cold to hang about so headed back the same way. I heard a sharp bark and a red fox ran away from me quickly rounding a hummock, too quick to get the camera out. It has been a few years since I saw a hill fox and it was a large one. A good ramble but it might be time to get the spikes packed.

Ascent: 759m

Distance: 12.3km

Time: 3.39

Wildlife: Black Grouse (5); Red Fox; Roe Deer; Buzzard; Raven; Meadow Pipit; 


No comments:

Post a Comment